How do I make a small room look bigger?
This month we're giving you some helpful tips on decorating your home.
If you have a small room in your house that you’re decorating, interior designer Lucy Bartley gives some helpful hints and tips for how to make it look bigger:
- Use light colours on the walls and ceiling – this will reflect light and make the room look bright & airy
- If a tone is required then use darker tones of colour nearer the floor and lighter shades on the ceilings – this will give an illusion of space
- Make use of hidden storage – multi functional pieces, for example a lift top ottoman/foot stool are great
- Opt for fewer decorative accessories that are bigger and draw the eye up
- Have one large sofa instead of multiple small pieces
- Opt for furniture with exposed legs
- Mirrors will always reflect light and make a small space seem larger
- Opt for a dining table that can be made smaller or larger
- Transparent furniture, like glass or clear plastic/acrylic do a great job of fooling the eye into thinking there is more space than there actually is
- Big pieces of art can add drama to a small space (rather than loads of tiny smaller framed pictures together), and make the room seem bigger in the process
- For window treatments - use lighter colours and texture rather than pattern for roman blinds/curtains at the windows
- Allow as much natural light to flood into the room as possible, and less fussy window treatments
- D-clutter vigorously – if you don’t love an item, or wouldn’t buy it today - re-cycle or take to a charity store