Our Award Winning Second Steps Scheme
Second Steps is our award-winning initiative, designed with Shared Ownership homeowners in mind.
If you own a Shared Ownership home and have outgrown the property, Second Steps allows you to sell the property and purchase a new home within London on the open market. Second Steps is particularly useful for existing shared owners that need to move due to work commitments, or need another bedroom due to a growing family, for example.
The scheme is available to Southern Housing Group residents and residents of other Housing Associations, giving shared owners freedom to find a suitable new home on the open market – homes that may otherwise be unavailable to purchase due to financial constraints.
How it works:
1. You must currently live in a Shared Ownership property in London
2. You make an application to find out what you can afford
3. We find a buyer for your current home
4. You find a new home on the open market
5. Southern Housing Group will buy the home you want
6. You purchase a share between 25-75% from the Group and rent is payable at a discounted rate on the share you don’t own – just like a Shared Ownership purchase.
The Second Steps initiative also provides reassurance to potential Shared Ownership buyers, who haven’t yet purchased a home, but expect they will need to move from their Shared Ownership home in the future.
Want to know more about our Homeowner Services?
Visit the Southern Home Ownership Hub, where you’ll find information on extending your lease, increasing the share you own in your home, selling your property and more.
Plus, our dedicated Sales Services Team is also on hand to provide assistance and answer any questions you may have.
Call: 0300 55 2171